Surgeons are known to be one of the people who are exposed to almost every anxiety-inducing encounter since their specialty revolves around saving the lives of people and sometimes, the patients get in a critical condition that needs immediate treatment or else it will get worse and possibly lead to unfortunate circumstances. But despite the chaotic and hectic schedules and situations they face on a daily basis, they could still remain calm under immense pressure because if they let the pressure overwhelm them, there could be a higher possibility of a surgery that they are performing could become unsuccessful and end up making a patient’s situation worse or lose them.
But how do they keep their composure under such pressuring circumstances? What do they do while simultaneously performing surgery on their patient?
In this article, you will get a glimpse of what happens inside the operation room besides performing surgery.
Who are the Professionals Inside the Operating Room?
First and foremost, we must identify the people behind the operation room who perform different kinds of surgeries on a daily basis.
This group of professionals is called a surgical team and a team is consists of the following medical practitioners:
- Surgeon. First is the leader of a surgical team, the surgeon and they are different types of surgeons with their own expertise. They are responsible for performing the surgeries of the patients and they went to medical school and trained for more than a decade, depending on what kind of specialty they decided to pursue, then they have to take the board exam and they must pass the exams before becoming licensed practitioners of surgical operations.
- Anesthetist or Anesthesiologist. The next member of a surgical team is an anesthesiologist. First, what is an anesthesiologist? An anesthesiologist is a healthcare professional who is responsible for ensuring that the patient is given the right amount or dosage of medication and painkillers while the surgeon is performing surgery on the patient. Their job can be daunting since they must observe the internal environment of a patient and based it on the amount of medicine they must give to the patient. One wrong dosage of medication can affect the homeostasis of a patient which could possibly make the situation worse.
- Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist or also known as CRNA. Another member of the surgical team is a registered nurse anesthetist who is known for assisting the anesthesiologist in giving the right dosage of medicine and painkiller or anesthesia to the patient. They are also responsible for monitoring a patient’s condition before the surgery, during the surgery along with the anesthesiologist, and after the surgery to check whether there are any changes to be reported immediately.
- Surgical Technicians. Before the surgical team comes inside the operation room to operate on a patient, the surgical technicians already ensure to have the surgical tools sterile and prepared as well as the machines so that once the group enters the operation room, they do not have to rush and panic because the tools and machines intended for surgical use is already laid out, ready for use.
- Medical Students or Residents. Sometimes, in training hospitals, these medical students or residents are also included in a surgical team to assist their senior surgeons.
- Operating Room Nurses. They are professionals in a surgical team who helps the surgeons during a patient’s surgical operation by helping pass the surgical tools to the surgeon, checking the patient’s vital signs, and helping setting up machines on the patient if it is needed during the operation.
With the help of all the medical professionals that were said above, a procedure could be successful. Now for the next question, do members of the surgical team strictly focus on the surgery alone, or do they also do something at the same time while performing surgery?
Do Surgeons Talk About Something Else Besides Anything Related to the Surgery that they are Currently Performing?
This is the segment where it answers the previous question of the previous segment of the article, and yes, there are times when medical professionals inside an operation room do something while simultaneously performing surgery on a patient and that is conversing with one another about different topics besides anything surgical or medical-related.
But of course, despite the topic being entertaining and pleasant, they still have to concentrate on their task ahead which is pretty admirable of them since the thought of performing a surgery alone is already daunting and yet the medical professionals still maintain their composure and successfully finish an operation.
What Do Surgeons Talk About During Surgery?
Now here comes the main question of the article, what do surgeons talk about during surgery?
Well, of course, in relation to their work, they usually talk about the condition of the patient. Along the way they will constantly check on the vital signs, tell the assistant to pass a specific tool to be used, and what are their goals in the current surgery to ensure that they are doing each procedure accurately without missing out on any detail to avoid any mistakes.
But in a more light-hearted situation, besides anything related to work, some surgeons just do chit-chat with their surgical team members such as sports, food, or probably gossip, basically just anything as long as professionalism is still present and it does not offend anyone in the room.
What are Some Other Activities that a Surgical Team Does During a Surgical Operation?
Besides talking or chit-chatting with fellow medical professionals inside an operating room while performing a surgery, surgeons actually listen to music while performing a surgery.
It is quite a shock and entertaining notion at the same time because medical professionals were put into this concept or they are known for being serious and strictly professional within the premises of their workplace. This is why it is entertaining to know that even maintaining their professionalism inside medical establishments, they still put a fun twist in their workplace to alleviate any stress and for them to enjoy what they are doing because music always puts someone in a great mood.
It was even mentioned in some research that most surgeons listen to rock music while performing surgery on their patients. Now, who would not enjoy performing surgery when you have the mass’s all-time favorite genre?