Being a doctor is everybody’s dream, also one of the most common professions a child wants to be.
Doctors are highly respected professionals who are working in the medical field and they are responsible for providing the best medical care for patients.
In this article, you will know the many types of doctors and their specializations. For sure, you can identify different types of doctors but there is a possibility that you may not know some of the medical professionals are actually doctors.
Different Types of Doctors
Doctors have different types or it basically means that some doctors have different specializations that only focus on a specific type of medical treatment to a patient such as, psychiatrists, a type of doctor who specializes in the mental health of a patient, pediatricians, a kind of doctor who is responsible for the physical, mental, and behavioral health of children, and another type of doctor is a surgeon, and surgeons are responsible for evaluating a person’s condition whether they need to undergo surgery, and, yes, they are also responsible for performing the surgery.
But in this article, we will be specifically discussing surgeons and their specializations.
Types of Surgeons and Their Responsibilities
Australia is known for hosting one of the best economies and healthcare industries in the world. According to reports, Australia is deemed to have powerful healthcare foundations, highly excelling healthcare professionals, a supportive government, and excellent quality in medicine.
These factors are the sole reasons why surgeons in Australia can earn $500,000 Australian dollars every year.
In this segment of the article, we will be talking about the different types of surgeons in Australia with the highest salaries. It was also reported by the taxation office of Australia that performing surgical operations has one of the most abundant profits in the medical field in Australia.
Here is the list of different types of surgeons with the highest salaries.
- Neurosurgeons. ($577,674 AUD)
- Just with a glance, a neurosurgeon’s annual income is shocking, however, the responsibilities of a neurosurgeon are one of the most critical and intimidating specialties.
- Neurosurgeons deal with a delicate task that focuses on diagnosing and operating disorders, and diseases that are found on the central and peripheral nervous system. Neurosurgeons are also responsible for performing surgical operations on a patient’s nervous system, which includes the following: brain, spinal cord, and nerves.
- Neurosurgeons undergo more than 10 years of medical studies and hospital residency before they are qualified to perform their specialized medical practices.
- Ophthalmic surgeons ($552,947 AUD)
- For ophthalmic surgeons, they operate on the patient’s eyes and treat any diseases that are related to the eyes. Besides examining a patient’s vision, they are also responsible for removing cataracts, treating glaucoma, fixing a person’s astigmatism, and removing other eye injuries.
- This occupation is also one of the most delicate specializations since it focuses on a person’s eyes and it takes more than 12 years of training then one can be a certified ophthalmic surgeon.
- These types of surgeons in Melbourne have 8% less of the average salary, eye surgeons located in Brisbane might earn lesser than 3%, while ophthalmic surgeons who are working in the city of Perth may have 5% more of the average salary.
- Thoracic surgeons ($453,253 AUD)
- Thoracic surgeons are similar to cardiologists wherein they study at medical school for more than a decade before becoming full-fledged thoracic surgeons.
- This type of surgeon specializes in operating a patient’s condition around the chest such as heart conditions, like congenital heart disease, heart defects, and other abnormalities.
- They can also operate on the respiratory system. They can also treat diseases such as lung cancers. Added to this, thoracic surgeons are capable of placing machines that could help the recovery of a patient with problems in the heart and lungs.
- Plastic and reconstructive surgeons ($448,530 AUD)
- Since plastic surgery or face reconstruction is becoming more prevalent in the 21st century due to social media which always set that standard of beauty for men and women, the increasing demand caused by men and women who want to modify or reconstruct their faces increases the salary of plastic surgeons.
- Before becoming plastic surgeons, they study for about 6 to eight years before attaining their license.
- Plastic surgeons specialize in modifying and reconstructing a patient’s body part which they are not satisfied with.
- Obstetrics and gynecology surgeons ($446,507 AUD)
- These types of surgeons are responsible for treating pregnant women, delivering babies, and care for pregnant women; pre-natal or post-natal.
- Obstetrics and gynecology surgeons are also responsible for treating a woman’s reproductive system. Medical students who specialize in this field can also operate on patients with fertility problems, infections on the genitals, and other diseases that can be found in the reproductive system such as STDs.
- These medical disciplines are intertwined and it takes about 12 to 14 years of studying and residency before becoming a certified obstetrician and gynecologist surgeon.
- Otorhinolaryngologist surgeons ($445,939 AUD)
- This type of surgeon is also known as ENT specialists since they specialize in treating a patient’s ears, nose, and throat.
- They conduct treatment for allergies, severe or minor, and treat any disorders in the head or neck.
- These types of surgeons also work with surgeons who specialize in reconstruction or aesthetic surgeries to ensure that their operation would not affect the patient’s nasal systems, neck, and mouth.
- Orthopedic surgeon ($439,629 AUD)
- Orthopedic surgeons, their responsibilities are diverse since they have different expertise in human anatomy.
- Orthopedic surgeons can operate on a patient’s muscular and skeletal systems as well as performing surgeries on a patient’s integumentary system and nerve system.
- This type of surgeon can also place braces and casts on the patient’s injury as well as performing therapy for patients with cerebral palsy, a disorder that affects the patient’s ability to move, stroke, and muscular dystrophy or progressive muscle loss.
- The fields of an orthopedic surgeon include performing hand surgery, practicing sports medicine for athletes, performing pediatric surgery, spinal surgery, foot and ankle therapy, and replacing a patient’s joint/s.
- Urological surgeons ($433,792 AUD)
- These types of surgeons specialize in a patient’s suprarenal glands or adrenal system and just like OBGYNEs, they can also operate on a person’s reproductive system.
- They help a patient to recover from hormonal imbalance and increase sexual performance since the two are affected as people get older.
- They can also perform surgeries on infections, tumors, and cancers that are found in the reproductive and adrenal systems of a patient.
- Vascular surgeons ($417,524 AUD)
- These types of surgeons are some of the top paid surgeons in medical professions and also in Australia.
- They treat coronary diseases like arteriosclerosis or the blockage of fat in the arteries that causes a heart attack is one of the top killers especially to people of old age or people with obesity.
- With vascular surgeons, they can operate on blood clots, aneurysms, strokes, and other coronary diseases.
- General surgeons ($357,996 AUD)
- Another type of surgeon with the highest salaries in Australia is a general surgeon.
- General surgeons undergo training for operating every system of the body.
- Pediatric surgeons ($282,508 AUD)
- Pediatric surgeons are trained for years to operate on a child’s minor or serious condition or disease.
- They are responsible to treat children who are the ages of a newborn baby until a five-year- old toddler although they could still operate on adults.